Once again vacation (kayaking, windsurfing, and sailing at Cuttyhunk Island), our building project, and, alas, life have overtaken blogging. Well, Chine bLog is back. The good news is that the design and building project – the skin-on-frame outrigger canoe – is progressing well.
As you can see, the stringers are mostly on and the ribs trimmed. The ribs are trimmed because they are all pegged to the outwale, keeping them in position. We are now some ways into lashing the inwale in, creating a nice, secure sandwich. The inwales are also tied and pegged into the forward breasthook. In short, she’s getting more and more solid.
It took a little while to figure out the lashing around the frame / inwale / outwale joint. I am pleased with how this first one turned out. The extra piece creates a better surface on which the iakos will bear. The lashing is easier at each rib, but cutting all the notches to recess the line (done with a round file) makes things somewhat time-consuming.
Speaking of the iakos, we also turned to them and have the forward one complete. I am pretty pleased with the rounding job. I made myself a new 7-10-7 scriber for the job and it went quite well. Lots of time with the spokeshave – very satisfying.
The forward one was harder because it includes the mast partner, which got mortised into it. This came out well, but for one slip with the router.
The outboard end is angled to meet the ama connector, and the large dowel is in place.